Friday, February 22, 2008

Ready to Leave Russia

FEBRUARY 20 - Interview at the U.S. Embassy
Today we had our interview at the U.S. Embassy. It was amazing. There were probably 15-20 kids being adopted and we got to meet several new parents, all from the U.S. Curiously, we met one couple from O'Fallon, Missouri adopting a little girl. She grew up in Hartford, Illinois and knows a mutual friend, Aaron Karlas. It was so fun seeing all the kids that now have a chance for a decent life.

One family adopted two children that were obviously affected by Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. They seemed very happy and I believe the parents knew exactly what they were in for. Another lady was there adopting her fourth teenager. It takes a very special person to adopt these kids that would otherwise have no chance in life. Its one of those things that we knew, but were overwhelmed by the generosity and loving spirit of so many Americans.

We got back to the hotel and settled in for another evening.

FEBRUARY 21 - Consulate Visit

Today, Eddie visited the Russian Consulate in Moscow with Phillip, our coordinator in Moscow. Our agency has us register Nik before we leave the country. Another option is to register with the Russian Consulate in the United States. However, by registering before we leave the country, our agency is assured of performance so that nothing will keep our agency from being accredited and other families from adopting their children.

When I returned, Vicki and Nik were eating lunch (well, Nik was eating anyway). Here is a glimpse of Nik's favorite pastime - eating a Cheerio snack.




While Nik likes Cheerios, he doesn't like chucky baby food. Here he is with the YUK-don't-like-that-one-Mom-face.


We decided to take a walk and get out of the hotel, so we walked down a few blocks to a Sbarro Pizza Restaurant. On the way back, we took a picture of our hotel.



We spent the rest of the afternoon bored out of our minds. I don't think we have ever watched so many bad movies on the Hallmark Channel. Its the only non-news channel in English except Cartoon Network and Nickelodean - both of which Nik is becoming very accustomed to watching. Boredom is offset with playing with Nik (when he's not napping). Here he is working on his walking moves getting down with his bad self.



FEBRUARY 22 - Packing to head home

Nik woke up hungry. We know that its hard to believe that he is hungry or that he eats a lot, given his slim physique. Anyway, he loves to snack. Here he is in Cheerio Utopia.


We went out for lunch again today...the walls are closing in on us. We have shown you Nik's good side, now here are some of his bad. He doesn't like to put on his hat and coat.

I don't like this silly hat...


and I hate this coat...


Nik's newest "trick" is to play peek-a-boo. Here are a series of pictures showing off his newly acquired skills.



We are headed home tomorrow, so look forward to the familiarity of the United States. We leave you with a few of the things we miss about being in the U.S.: (1) ice in your drinks, (2) English, (3) the ban on smoking in restaurants and everywhere else you can think of, (4) food, (5) ice in your drinks (yes, we know we listed it twice, its that important), and, most importantly, (6) family and friends.

Eddie and Vicki

2 Comments:

Blogger Wolf family said...

Hi! We are the Wolf family, in CA working with CHI also assigned to Nizhny and awaiting the referral of a little boy. My good friend sent me the link to your blog and I have LOVED reading up on your process and meeting (via awesome storytelling and photos) your precious little boy! CONGRATS! I am not sure when you will arrive home, but I would love to connect at some point when you do. Please feel free to email me at mwolf@apu.edu. I look forward to hearing from you and following the remainder of your journey. Blessings to you,
Melanie

9:47 PM  
Blogger zhora said...

Eddie and Vicki...
Hi. It's your old band and drama pal, George.

I lost your blog link for awhile. I searched my e-mail archives and found your blog again.

I'm really happy for you guys :)


Take care....George

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home